Every homeowner and apartment tenant should know where the air filter is and how to maintain it. That’s because every home and apartment has an HVAC system that contains one or more air filters to remove contaminants—like dust and bacteria—from the air.
Have you ever wondered, “How important are air filters?” The answer is extremely. For starters, air filters remove harmful airborne contaminants—such as dust and pollen—each time your furnace or air conditioners run. More importantly, it protects the components inside your furnace.
When Should You Clean Your Filter?
How do you know when the air filter is dirty enough to require a replacement? Take a look at this video to learn more about when and how to replace your air filter.
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- A dirty air filter means a) it’s working properly and b) you need to replace it with a fresh filter.
- Dirty filters that aren’t replaced require your HVAC system to use more energy, increasing your monthly energy bill.
- Filters with high Merv ratings – which denotes the amount of air allowed to pass through – capture more particulates from the air. These filters require replacement frequently.
3 Things to Know About HVAC Air Filters
Keep reading to learn more about the importance of air filters and how to maintain your HVAC system.
1. An air filtration system can be as simple as replacing a 1” disposable filter that protects your system from visible particles. Or it can be upgraded to an advanced system, such as the Carrier Infinity Purification System. This filtration system captures, kills, and eradicates germs and other harmful pollutants invisible to the naked eye.
Both approaches share one thing in common: air filters need to be maintained or replaced.
2. Along with improving your home’s air quality, filters also help your HVAC system run efficiently. Air filters remove particles from the air that can force your system to work harder and possibly damage the components inside your furnace.. The smaller the particles, the harder to capture which requires a higher filter rating . Most allergens are minuscule and require an upgraded filtration system to capture them.
Air-Rite offers various options to improve air quality beyond a 1″ filter, including products that help remove airborne viruses and germs. These products are helpful as different allergens affect different people in different ways. Call Air-Rite today to schedule a time for a Comfort Consultant to come out, review your needs, and provide the rite system for you.
3. Your system is set up to accept only a certain sized filter. The most common sizes include 16x25x1” or 20x25x1”. Make sure to get the right size to fit in the filter slot of your HVAC system. After finding the correct size, the next step is to choose the filter rating. We recommend a MERV 8 for 1” filters and a MERV 8 -MERV 16 for filters 4” or wider. The higher a filter’s rating, the more effective it will be in filtering contaminants from the air.
Call an Air-Rite HVAC Technician Today
If you’re not sure where your air filter is located in the HVAC system or how or when to replace it, reach out to the experts at Air-Rite. Let us help you get the right filter for your needs. Our professionally trained technicians offer reliable, high-quality HVAC repair and replacement services in the Greater Chicagoland area. With over 60 years of experience as a family-owned and operated business, we know how to get the job done right. Every time. When you need an excellent HVAC repair and replacement company you can trust with your home’s air quality, call Air-Rite.